The GDI is an independent Global Think Tank, founded by the European Retail Pioneer Gottlieb Duttweiler (1888-1962). The institute is specialised in trend research, strategic workshops, lectures, and conferences like the International Retail Summit (59th edition in 2009), the European Foodservice Summit (10th edition in 2009) and the European Consumer Trend Conference (5th edition in 2009). The main topics are: changes in consumption patterns and society, innovation in retailing and the service industry.
- Trends and countertrends in Business, the Economy and Society
- Globalization: Myths and Realities, Winners and Losers
- Game Changers: 10 Players who set the new rules in a global world
- The Future of Success: How Management is going to change
- Survival of the Fittest - What it really means
- Small is beautiful
- How the five "D’s" (digitization, demographics, (de)globalization, debt, deflation) will lead to new ways of decision making
- High tech and High touch: How human needs are going to change
- SIMPLEXITY: Making things simpler in a complex world
Following high school and a business education, Bosshart capped his studies with a Ph.d. from the University of Zurich in philosophy and political theory. He has been involved in communications and marketing consulting, in retailing and in scientific research.
1991–1996 head of department at the GDI for consumer research and social change. 1997–1999 head of strategic development and director of the cultural and social section of the Federation of Migros Cooperatives (the famous culture percentage). Bosshart has held his current position since 1999.
David Bosshart is the author of numerous publications and a speaker at international events in Europe, the U.S. and Asia. His expertise is focussed on consumption and retailing, management, social change and political philosophy.